Monday, March 14, 2011

Pigeon and Broccoli Casserole

OK, this I didn't take a picture of because I didn't want to traumatize anyone, so allow me to create a fabulous mental image for you. Last night we decided to make grandma's chicken and broccoli casserole. It is a yummy dish with a deceiving title. Calling it chicken and broccoli makes you think you are eating something healthy but upon closer examination of the sauce and other ingredients you realize that every spoonful is a artery clogging good time. Although I must say my amazing sister has modified it to have less fat with the same great taste and for that our hearts thank her. So last night as I'm preparing this dish I ran into a little snag. I had the sauce mixed and all of the other ingredient ready to go. So I take my rotisserie chicken out, (purchased at my local grocery store) and begin to prepare the chicken for the casserole. Now this chicken was unusually small and looked a little different so I double checked the bag and it was indeed labeled chicken. I first went to remove the white meat only to discover there was none. In fact the breast meat was virtually non existent and what little meat was on this bird was all dark meat. I have seen enough chickens and other birds to realize this was no chicken. I'm rather sure it was either a pigeon or a dove. So I decided to modify grandmas recipe one step further than my sister had. Tonight we would have pigeon and broccoli casserole. So I thought, but I soon realized this small bird would not provide enough meet to even cover a corner of the casserole. So, I improvised as not to let the other many ingratiates go to waste we added chicken nuggets. It all turned out edible and left us with a fun memory.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry, but "chicken nugget pigeon casserole" does not sound tasty at all! YICK! Thanks for the laugh. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete