Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Moment for Grattitude



Since we have moved here, we have found many things to be grateful for. We are grateful for new experiences as well as being grateful for things we may have once taken for granted. I thought I would share a few with you. This is the view as you step outside our front door. My sweet husband has taken many pictures of this view because he is still in awe that we can see the ocean out our front door. Every time we walk into the house at sunset he makes sure that we all stop and recognize the beauty we have this opportunity to be surrounded by.
Another thing that we have learned to love and be truly fascinated by are the bats. As you can imagine they are a little difficult to get pictures of, but they really are something to behold. They are about the size of a pterodactyl and very cute. At night we can hear them flapping and squeaking out side our bedroom window. The other night I finally managed to pry my eye lids open so I could have a look at them. I saw them climbing from branch to branch eating fruit out of the trees in our backyard. Then as one would take off I couldn't help but be so amazed that something so huge could remain so allusive. My goal before I leave is to get a picture of these critters. The problem isn't seeing them, they aren't shy. In fact we have found they are fond of doing very low fly byes so close their faces are easy to see even in the dark. The problem is that they are so fast and well camouflaged when they are holding still. So some day we will hopefully have a picture to show you of these bats before our time here is up.

This mourning a kind and merciful neighbor introduced me to the produce markets here. Our usual shopping spot we have learned is not always the best option for produce. For a family that usually eats a fruit salad or some kind of fresh fruit every night, this has been a big deal. Thanks to certain bulk chain stores, we could come by all kinds of produce any time of year in huge quantities, great quality for a reasonable amount. You would think fruit would be easier to come by in Okinawa than in the middle of winter in North Dakota, not so. My first trip to the grocery store we decided to by some strawberries, a tiny carton for the same price as the bulk size in the states. We got home opened them up and found that they had rotted starting in the center. It wasn't visible from the outside. We made several attempts with only one purchase even being edible. Then I kept hearing I could get good strawberries at the produce markets. Could it be, is it so, it is. Now we aren't talking bulk size strawberries and the prices still weren't great. But the fruit that had disappointed me so regularly as of lately caused me to remember why I was in such hot pursuit of this piece of ambrosia. I cut them up for the kids for lunch and then realized I hadn't put any on their plates. I just kept washing and popping them in my mouth, I couldn't stop. Finally I managed to spare a few for my sweet and very deserving children. So hopefully by now you are all craving the delicious sweet taste of the divine fruit known as the strawberry and are off to buy yourself some, or at least buy and eat a good helping of what ever your favorite fruit is.
Another miracle my eyes were opened to were the beautiful flowers for sale. Big beautiful flowers of all kinds for such a small price. Flowers I would spend a small fortune on in other locations cost me just a couple of dollars here. Since we are still surrounded in boxes and not quite settled in I only bought a small bouquet of orchids rather than going over board with some fabulous arrangement. This bouquet of orchids only cost me just over four dollars. That wouldn't even cover the cost of tax for what I would pay for these in other places. I love the flowers.
Last but not least can I get whoop whoop for the microwave. After living with out one for a bit I realize I am totally dependant on it. The beauty of being able to throw some thing in and have it ready in minutes is amazing. It saves on time and dishes. The particular microwave we use was a gift from my brother and his wife when I got my first place. It has now done quite a bit of traveling with me and for the first time I am truly appreciating its ability to turn a flat bag of popcorn into something fluffy buttery and divine that manages to delight even my children. So pick a week and see how often you use your microwave. Then be thankful you too belong to a microwave generation. OK so these might sound like small things, but they all have one thing in common, sadly I had to live with out them to truly appreciate them. Is it possible to truly appreciate something you have been surrounded by your whole life with out having to have it taken away first. Just a thought. Our lives are amazing and a blessing, so take in a deep breath and savor every sound, taste, smell.... ( OK maybe only most of the smells), sight and what ever else your senses absorb and soak in life. Drink in the amazing life you have been blessed with and appreciate every experience in brings you. It is so much more fun that way.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled that you all finally got your household goods! We too, longed for our microwave after it "died." Yes, our microwave died a couple of months ago and it was amazing at how much we used it to reheat, etc..

    Love the picture of the view out your front door; I'd be in heaven! ...and the bats... that freaks me out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys alright out there? Call if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete