Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Father Son and Daddy Daughter Dates

In late March I had the opportunity on a bright and sunny Saturday to spend the morning taking my oldest son down to Naha to jump on a boat to view whales. This is an activity that I love, and he humored me. His mother, sister and brother were not too keen on joining us.

Normally the Japanese are very punctual, but they wasted 40 minutes of our 3 hour trip waiting for late-comers. We still got to see whales, though, but not as many as the previous year 
 
It never gets old, and I would and have gone every season we have been here.
What is so incredible is the water here is so clear that when the sun is out you can see the whales under it. Look at this one's fins.
Waiving good bye to the humpback flukes as we'll be gone before they return to calve next season.
 Then my daughter and I went to watch the roller derby. A friend of mine from work is the coach of the Habu Hellians (the maroon team). He had been asking me to support them for a while and my daughter had wanted to go the previous year, but I had had to fly. It was pretty fun and the Habu trashed the Shisa. Afterwards we had a good talk about tattoos, piercings and hair color and that we don't treat people differently with those, but do not emulate.
 It was held in the Marine hangar, and my daughter actually had the most fun playing Duck, Duck Goose with the other kids during half time.
It was a great day and I have amazing kids. We had to say this past Friday if we would request a year extension, and we will not. So our next move will be in January. We are going to miss this place; there is never a shortage of varied and interesting things to do.




1 comment:

  1. What great fun!!! (A little jealous over here..)

    The next time we talk, remind me to share the story of the "tattoo and Chase."

    Give the family a hug for us; we miss you all dearly!!

    ReplyDelete