Sunday, April 28, 2013

Thailand TDY

So I got to go back to Thailand for work, but this time it was to Pattaya. I have to say that I'm glad we went to Chiang Mai and Phuket for our vacation instead of here.
It is beautiful, but not really family friendly. That didn't stop tons of Russian families from taking their little kids there, though.
We saw this snake crossing the taxi way
The markets had some interesting food offerings
 
 
Scorpions, cockroaches and beetles...oh my?
This kind of Thai food is much more to my taste
We took in some of the sights, and the coolest thing we saw was the Sanctuary of Truth. 
This temple is made entirely out of wood, and it was built to provide moral employment. Since it is constantly wearing down and getting termites, it will never be complete and will always need to be worked on. It was beautiful and the pictures do not do it justice.
 The atmosphere was like being at the temple in Tomb raider
The intricate detail and colors of the wood were so awe inspiring.
This wood has been weathered and is older.
It was really impressive.
Equally so, were the workshops
 It is a family affair where generations teach the next.
 
 This column shows the drawings before they start carving it.
Thailand is a beautiful place, and I really enjoy getting to travel while we are over here. As far as business trips go, this was a great one.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures, though I think I'm having a little PTSD with the bugs!!! The statues made me think back to the old Thai movies that they'd have on TV when I was a little kid. Give the family a hug for us, we miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How will you ever adjust back to "normal" life when you're eventually stationed back in the States? Sad we aren't going to get to see you and Josh and respective families at the Alford anniversary reunion this summer, but it's nice to be able to stay updated on the awesome things you guys are doing over there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete