Thursday, August 18, 2011

Luxury Weekend Escape


The weekend before our new addition came to our family my husband and I won a weekend stay at the luxury hotel Lester. We thought we would show some pictures of our exotic weekend away.

Ok, so it wasn't a luxury weekend get away so much as Typhoon Muifa. When ever there is a typhoon here, all of the women who are 37 weeks pregnant or more have to stay at the hospital in case they go into labor. It would seem that typhoons tend to send women into labor. I was there with my husband along with 35 other women, some with their spouses some on their own. Out of the 35 we know that at least 9 went into labor over the weekend. We thought we were only going to have to be there one night, one night turned into 2 nights and 3 days.
This is our luxury sweet and sleeping accommodations. Each person either got a cot or an air mattress, these are our cots and the room that we slept in. There were two rooms like this which we all slept in. My husband and I really only went here to sleep as it felt a little confining.
This is the glorious bathroom we had the privilege of using. You may think that is sarcasm, but it is genuine gratitude. There was only one shower for 35 women to use, and every one of us were so thankful for it's clean warm water.
This is the glorious shower that offered a small bit of sanity for a large group of couped up women all about ready to pop.
This is the galley, or what we like to think of as the 5 star restaurant where we dined. It may not seem like much to others, but for me it was a unique and humbling experience. For three days I didn't have to cook dinner or do dishes, instead I had the opportunity of having dinner made by Navy Corpsmen who not only did their own assigned jobs but cooked and served meals, did the dishes, and what ever else was needed including constant round the clock cleaning and repair of what looked less like a flooding building and more like a sinking ship. Not only that but each one of these corpsmen always had a smile on their face. I don't know if it was because they feared for their safety being locked in a hospital with 35 very moody pregnant women, or if they just generally had a good attitude, what ever the reason I was impressed. If I could write a letter to each of their mothers to tell them how proud they should be I would.
We spent the majority of our time walking around the hospital hoping I would go into labor. We saw this stairwell a lot.

We spent one evening in the pharmacy waiting room listening to the rain, watching Master Chef and working on the blog.
This hallway leading to the room we slept in gave my husband the brilliant idea to spend our time here making a zombie film. We never got around to it, but it sounded like a great idea. Can't you just see it now, pregnant zombie moms in Japan, during a typhoon in an old leaky hospital.

Mean while, during our romantic weekend get away, our children were having a wonderful time waiting out the storm with our very kind neighbors. Our daughter wasn't home for 24 hours when she asked when she good do it all again. Truthfully it was very difficult to be away from my children, however, it has been so rare that I get very much time with my husband, that I consider in a great privilege to have had this rare bit of time to spend with him.

1 comment:

  1. I think the hospital should be referred to as "Hotel Zombieland." Glad that the baby didn't have Zombieland listed as his place of birth; you'd have to change his name to something else fitting. ;D

    Loved seeing the baby the other day. We love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete