Saturday, November 2, 2013

Hong Kong

Our last big trip in this part of the world (at least for now) was to Hong Kong and Singapore. Because of the volume of pictures I'll split the posts.
A beautiful city.
Our first hotel was on Hong Kong Island in a part called Happy Valley
We took the tram up to Victoria Peak to take in the view
Up where the hawks flew
We did a trick I learned at the Top of the Rock in NY; if you go in the evening you get day and night views.
Growing up. I hope they remember all of this.
Amazing. We then hopped a cab to get down to the symphony of lights show on Kowloon Bay
We made it just in time
 Every night they light up the buildings on both sides of the bay to music.
Our kids were excited to see Lord Shen's (the peacock from Kung Fu Panda 3) boat
I liked the light reflection on the bay
 After the show we walked down the Avenue of Stars
The famous Bruce Lee statue
Our youngest channeling the Kung Fu
 Belle greeted us at our next hotel
The boys wouldn't get in the picture (our oldest boy said he couldn't because she was too pretty)
 This is the hotel maze
I told my wife to take pictures of whatever she wanted and this was what she took
Hong Kong Disney is a little small, but the fact that we could walk to it from our hotel was amazing it was only 3/4 of a mile away. No buses full of sweaty people to deal with.
Our daughter with a flower in her hair and the boys seconds before they fell in the hedge
 My good looking family
I really like the mountain guy from Fantasia, so this was cool
 Mickey!
 Pluto in his Chinese hat
 Then there was this side show that was more like Howl-o-scream than Disney, but it was cool. Our daughter really liked this gal
This was the ice queen
 The siren's buddy was a bat guy
He was pretty cool, too
 The villains parade
Spooky! I love Halloween
 walking to the park the next day
 drums in adventure land
 my wife liked this statue, so I emulated it
 checking in with Tinkerbelle
 then we shrunk down and went to Toy Story land
                  speedy
 my oldest boy saw this on a ride he and I rode and said, "Hey Dad, do you see that?" and I said yeah, and he said, "that says no dancing on the ride." He's hilarious
 when you got close to Rex he would talk to you
a fun part of the park
 Then it was off to Mystic Mansion. The word was this ride is unique to Hong Kong Disney because their beliefs did not allow for a haunted house. Ironically, it didn't seem to limit the ghosts and ghouls that were part of the Halloween festivities.
 we were really stoked because the story is a collector brought back stuff from all over the world and an enchanted music box animates it all. My wife says this is like our dream house.
 a lot of this fake stuff is cooler than the real stuff
I really liked it. In another twist it was a little too scary for the kids, and they like the Haunted Mansion.
 I've actually seen the real one of these in the British museum
 my wife walking like an Egyptian
 great eyes
our kids are wanted
 Chip n Dale pumpkins in Venice?
 The Small World ride here had the Disney characters in their countries of origin, like Peter Pan in England and here Jungle Book in India. It was different and fun.
 Ariel under the sea
 a much needed break for food
 then some fun in the space water park
 they were soaked
 we finally got to do Astro Blasters (we've never been able to get in in the states) and I scored enough to be Space Ace
 walking home
to our gorgeous hotel
the next day we went to the temple
We took turns going through and there was a park in front for the kids to play in
then we went to the Chi Lin nunnery. We asked multiple cabbies where this was and finally, when we had given up our last one realized we were saying it wrong
The contrast between ancient and modern was striking
we showed up right before closing so we had to hurry
it was impressive
then back to the hotel for some character dining
 Hey Minnie!
 what will Mickey say?
 this cute little girl was celebrating her second birthday and shared her cake with the kids
 we love Halloween!
then it was off to Singapore...

1 comment:

  1. Looks like an amazing trip. Seeing the pictures of the city, puts into perspective of how "tiny" we really are! I don't think I could handle all of the people... my "bubble" is WAY to large. :)

    ReplyDelete